Sunday, June 26, 2011

Sometimes it's good to be wrong

I admit to being wrong on two out of the three most significant political issues in the past two or three years now I pray that I will also be wrong about the third and most significant issue.  My score card reads -
  1. MP's expenses: I seriously believed that there would be a day of reckoning.  But due to the widespread level of fraud and deceit, it is hard to imagine how retribution and reform could have been less harsh or less effective.  (Score, zero out of one.)
  2. A reforming conservative government: I felt certain that given the sheer scale of Blair and Brown's failures that the country would elect a conservative government which would reverse the growth in public sector spending, curb the excesses of the welfare state, reform health and education and look after our armed services. Wrong, no conservative government but instead a coalition government, pathetic or non existent reforms and higher taxes.  (Score, zero out of two.)
  3. Bloody unrest in Europe: I fear the current euro crisis will  lead to bloody unrest, possibly civil war or God forbid out right international war on mainland Europe.  (Score, the jury is still out.)
I was wrong on the first two counts due to over optimism for a satisfactory outcome.  I pray that I will now be wrong on the third count due to rather to much pessimism.

Best Wishes
Will

No comments:

Post a Comment